For You Consideration

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore." (Cesar Chavez)

Friday, October 8, 2010

Do I Dare Disturb the Universe - If not me, then who, if not now, when?

This is the second year I've had the pleasure of presenting to the Burnett Honor's College as a part of their Symposium series.  It is indeed an honor to share space with amazingly talented young people.  Each time I am asked to speak, it is a serious and contemplative process in what should be shared.  I've listened to them speak about how "boring, uninspiring, tired, and unrelatable" they find these sessions.

The pressure is on to not commit the sins of those who've come before me.  The challenge is to be relevant, relatable, righteous, and real!  To that end, I chose a line from a work by T.S. Eliot; "Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?"

Those words are printed BOLDLY on my bathroom mirror as well as at both my desks.  It is both my mantra and commandment.  It defines my role in the institution where I'm employed and outlines the expectation of a society that still struggles to find a place of value for all its citizens.

With topic in hand or at least in my head and in the presence of brilliance and greatness..."we" began the process of learning and unlearning in order to answer the question, "Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?"  This blog is intended to capture the successes, outline the challenges, and encourage those committed to building communities of justice by pushing and questioning and recognizing change never happens until the first person takes that first action to declare, "This is not fair!  This is not right! This is not just!"

Let's use the space to create and encourage for fairness.  Let's discuss how community begins to be experienced in a place that values the contributions of everyone; not just the privileged few!  Let's say, "If not me, then who and if not now, when?"

"Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice! (mlk, jr.).

Let's go...mf

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Freeman,
    I was one of the students in the audience of honor symposium and I would just like to say that your presentation definitely impacted me. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to listen to you speak, and I wish more of the presentations were as inspiring as yours. You definitely were relevant and relatable. I found this blog in search for information to include in my final paper and just thought I would leave this message.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete